I have started a new assignment and won’t be available for new projects for some time. I expect to become available again in the first half of 2024.
I am currently only interested in freelance assignments.
I am an experienced full stack web developer with a focus on solid architecture and an eye for detail. I enjoy programming bespoke web applications using modern technologies like React, Apollo/GraphQL, TypeScript, NodeJS and Python/Django.
I thrive working in highly motivated Scrum teams, where I am both comfortable taking a tech lead role or just being part of the development team. I love building bespoke solutions from the ground up, but I am equally comfortable contributing to existing code bases.
(Node, Isomorphic React, Server Side Rendering)
- Apollo / GraphQL – 3 years, very good
- HTML, CSS – 22 years, expert
(HTML5, Sass/SCSS, CSS Modules)
- Responsive design, mobile web apps – 12 years, expert
- Python – 17 years, very good
(Django, Oscar e-commerce framework, Wagtail CMS, Celery)
- Database design / SQL – 19 years, good
(PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQLite)
- XML, XSLT – 18 years, good
(XPath, XML Schema)
- Version control – 18 years, very good
(Git, Github/Gitlab, Mercurial, Subversion)
Freelance web developer @ Yuri van der Meer Media (Jan 2022–present)
Lisman Forklifts (2022–2023)
Continued development for existing platform, including various i18n improvements, visual design updates, page speed performance optimizations and development of a bespoke 360° product viewer.
- Lab Digital
- Python/Django, React, Wagtail CMS
Continued development for existing platform, adding new features and improving usability.
- Lab Digital
Pharmaceutical Order Management System (2022)
- Lab Digital
- Python/Django, Django REST Framework
MAN Rollo webshop (2022)
Small maintenance and functional improvements for the existing webshop.
- Lab Digital
- Python/Django, Oscar e-commerce framework
Slim.nl / SLB (2022)
- Lab Digital
- CommerceTools, Pay.nl integration, TypeScript/Node, Apollo/GraphQL, Python, MACH composer, Terraform, Microsoft Azure
- React (Isomorphic / SSR), Apollo (GraphQL), Bootstrap, Sass, Webpack
Frontend developer @ auto.nl, Amsterdam (Nov 2020–Dec 2021)
Freelance web developer, Amsterdam (Aug 2014–Oct 2020)
Modern web application development using proven technology and “old fashioned craftsmanship”.
- Lab Digital
- React (Isomorphic / SSR), Apollo (GraphQL), Redux, Bootstrap, Sass, Webpack, Python/Django, Django REST Framework, Oscar e-commerce, PostgreSQL
B2B food & drink e-commerce platform (2018)
- Valtech Amsterdam, Digital Tribes
- Vue.js, Vuex, Bootstrap 4, Webpack
Liander web shop / order flow (2018)
E-commerce order flow with various REST based interfaces and iDEAL payment. Fully responsive design with extensive back/forward support and fully maintainable through the Wagtail CMS.
- Lab Digital, Alliander
- React, Redux, Bulma, Sass, CSS Modules, Webpack, Python/Django, Django REST Framework, Oscar (e-commerce framework), Wagtail CMS, PostgreSQL
TMG: Telegraaf Media Groep (2016–2017)
As tech lead of the Core Services team I developed and maintained systems on which the various TMG brands rely every day. Centralized login (single sign-on, authentication & user management) and other core services, “Bestelstraat 2.0”, the MijnMedia platform, project automation, unit testing and quality control.
KPN SmartLife (2015)
Home security and automation platform for telecom provider KPN. Oscar-based e-commerce platform with various custom external interfaces (KPN, Buckaroo, Microsoft Dynamics CRM, Trigion) and a personalized environment for customers.
- Lukkien, KPN, Deutsche Telecom, e-office, Buckaroo, Trigion
- Python/Django, Oscar (e-commerce framework), Django REST Framework, Celery, PostgreSQL
The Voice Kids / Pombär contest page (2015)
Online game for potato snack manufacturer Pombär, to promote the start of the 2015 season of The Voice Kids. Responsive HTML5 frontend with Python/Django game engine.
- Lukkien, Dentsue Aegis, RTL
- Backbone, CoffeeScript, HTML5, CSS, Python/Django
Photographer @ Yuri van der Meer Fotografie, Amsterdam (Jun 2009–Nov 2016)
Documentary wedding photography and portrait photography.
Senior Frontend Developer @ Easytobook.com, Amsterdam (Feb 2014–Jul 2014)
Defining a superior online travel experience with state-of-the art front-end technology. As part of a specialised team, my activities included:
- Building a generic development stack around CoffeeScript, Backbone/Marionette, Twig/Swig, Sass and Grunt.
- Creating a custom unit testing framework using Mocha, Chai, Sinon and Squire, including Jenkins integration.
- Setting up an efficient build system using a combination of Grunt, Node.js and shell scripting.
- Documenting programming techniques and coding standards.
- Defining a team workflow around a Kanban/Scrum methodology and code reviews through Github.
Co-Founder @ Goeie Jongens, Amsterdam (Mar 2010–Jan 2014)
Teamed up with Vincent Hillenbrink to prepare for web 3.0, and deliver custom-crafted, user-friendly data-driven web applications.
Kawasaki Motors Europe: Bike Configurator (2012–2014)
Standalone motorcycle configuration tool with custom-built multilingual CMS. Activities included interaction design, image asset worfklow management, front-end development, staff training and support.
- DLVR, Jasper Fassaert, TargetPress
- HTML5, Sass/Compass, CoffeeScript, Backbone.js, jQuery, RequireJS, Amazon S3 + CloudFront, Python/Django
ISRIC WOSIS worldsoilprofiles.org (2012–2014)
Rich visualization and templated-based data entry of thousands of soil profiles worldwide, internationalized for 10+ languages. Activities included interaction design, requirements management and front-end development.
- HTML5, Sass/Compass, Google Maps, CoffeeScript, Backbone.js, jQuery, RequireJS, PostGIS + GeoDjango, Python/Django
L1NDA mobile Android & iOS app (2012–2013)
Google Play, iTunes App Store
HTML5-based mobile app for viewing work schedules and signing off on worked hours.
- HTML5, Sass/Compass, PhoneGap/Cordova, CoffeeScript, Backbone.js, RequireJS, Zepto
Kawasaki Motors Europe: Z800 (2013)
Extensive single-page “microsite” for the new Kawasaki Z800 motorcycle. Responsive design, rich media integration and internationalization for 10+ countries/languagues.
- HTML5, Sass/Compass, CoffeeScript, Backbone.js, jQuery/Zepto, Amazon S3 + CloudFront
VNCI: Chemie in Nederland (2012–2013)
Geographical mapping of chemical organizations in the Netherlands and browsable model of chemical substances and their products.
- HTML5, LESS, Google Maps, jQuery, Python/Django
Weight-loss platform for Sanoma Media. Iterative development using Scrum and integration with several Sanoma web services.
- DLVR, Kazenda, Jasper Fassaert, Sascha Spijker, Marcel Beumer, Florus van Beek
Centraal Museum Utrecht (2011–2012)
State-of-the-art Django application with custom CMS solution, advanced synchronization with Adlib, mobile-friendly adaptive CSS layout, HTML5 canvas drawing and Ajax-enabled pages for rich experience with graceful degradation for accessibility.
Development, consulting, quality assurance, unit testing, database migrations and performance optimizations.
- Python/Django, MySQL, PostgreSQL
Freelance web developer @ Yuri van der Meer Consulting, Amsterdam (Nov 2008–Mar 2010)
Albert Heijn Allerhande (2009–2010)
Online version of the well-known Allerhande food magazine. Custom Django CMS, REST webservice integration, custom XML-based communication with the Flash frontend; Scrum methodology.
- Fabrique, Lukkien, Zilverline
- Python/Django, REST, XML
Home automation prototype (2008)
Web-based tool for managing lighting, climate and security in your home. Python network programming, a user-configurable rule engine built around an elaborate Django model, JSON client-server data synchronization.
Senior Technical Consultant @ Backbase, Amsterdam (Mar 2005–Nov 2008)
As a technical consultant for Backbase, my activities included:
- Software design & development for corporate clients, requirements definition & estimation, technical risk management, system development, integration and performance tuning.
- Classroom training for customers and partners, teaching the overall Backbase framework, software design, performance management and standalone testing.
- Knowledge sharing with fellow consultants and introduction of development tooling such as Subversion and Trac.
Some projects I did while at Backbase:
ABN AMRO Customer Dashboard (2007)
Personalized online banking portal, with generic module management and persistency. Activities as architect and lead developer included scoping, estimates and planning, front-end architecture & development, integration and classroom training.
- IBM Global Services, Tata Consulting, Mirabeau, ITsec
Yellow Pages: Home At Yellow (2006); Melbourne, Australia
Rich information driven home improvement portal, featuring drag-and-drop widgets, in-site bookmarking, extensive search and personalization. Activities as lead developer included requirements definition, technical design, front-end development, integration and classroom training.
- Telstra, Aegeon, Majitek, ThoughtWorks
ABN AMRO Hypotheken Groep / MoneYou (2005–2006)
Various online mortgage calculation tools. Data-bound rich forms, generic validation and application logic framework with skinning support. Activities as lead developer included delivery of a Proof-of-Concept, requirements gathering, estimates and planning, front-end development and integration.
Freelance Web Developer, Rotterdam (Nov 2003–Sep 2005)
Graphics department @ OC&C Strategy Consultants, Rotterdam (Aug 2001–Feb 2005)
As team lead of the OC&C Strategy Consultants graphics department in the Netherlands, my activities included delivery of PowerPoint presentations, production of MS Office (Word/PowerPoint/Excel) and email templates, Photoshop image manipulation, development of the intranet and online marketing websites, and various QuarkXPress and Adobe InDesign print publications.
As a side project, I delivered a web-based replacement of the company’s knowledge archiving system. As lead developer in the project, my responsibilities included overall application architecture, database design, migration of legacy data, and application development (PHP, MySQL, XHTML/CSS).
- Hogeschool van Amsterdam, Netherlands – HBO Informatica, 2008–2009 (propedeuse)
- SAE Institute Rotterdam, Netherlands — Audio Engineering Diploma, 2001–2003
- Mayde Creek High School, Houston, Texas, USA — diploma, 1999–2001
- Krimpenerwaard College, Krimpen aan den IJssel, Netherlands — VWO, 1995–1999
- +31 (0)6 343 16 409
- contact [at] yvandermeer [dot] net
- Nationality: Dutch
- Spoken languages: Dutch, English
- Date of birth: February 12, 1983
- Yuri van der Meer Media
- KVK Amsterdam: 84252960
- VAT number: NL003935529B56
More about me
In addition to programming, I also have a passion for photography, exercising and eating healthy. I enjoy sport climbing, riding my fixed gear bicycle and playing the guitar.
I live Edam, Netherlands (greater Amsterdam area) together with my wife and three sons.